Last wrap-up post for the AR High Country Route! For the curious, packing-anxious, and bikepacking nerds: What I Packed, What I Used, & Bike Setup.Bike: Salsa Cutthroat (2018) Custom Build (details here)
Tires: Panaracer GravelKing SK 38mm on Dynamo front wheel; Maxxis Rambler 38mm on back wheel
Bags: Custom Rogue Panda frame bag (water bladder, change of clothes, headlamp, note to self and other small items in map pocket), Oveja Negra Seat Bag (bivy, sleeping pad, Enlightened Equipment 30 degree quilt), Oveja Negra top tube bag (snacks, charging cables), Andrew the Maker Feed Bags (more snacks), Wanderlust Pinon Pocket front bag (cables, toiletries, sunscreen, tools)
Light: Sinewave Beacon front light, cheapo blinky back light
GPS: Garmin Edge 520 Plus
What I Packed, What I Used:
- Nemo GoGo Bivy
- Enlightened Equipment Quilt
- Sleeping Pad
- Camelbak Bladder
- Bug Spray
- Change of clothes: run shorts/tank top
- Sunscreen stick
- Food: assortment of Honey Stinger waffles and energy bars, Trail Butter, can of sardines, turkey jerky sticks, couple of Clif bars
- Battery pack
- Toothbrush, contacts solution, etc.
- Tube x1
What I Didn't Use:
- Bike lock (but it gave me peace of mind)
- Headlamp (same)
- Pepper Spray (same)
- Water filter (lots of streams that could've used it on - and came close - but generally ran into churches or schools with spigots)
What I Wish I Did/Had:
- Bigger Tires (at least a 2.1")
- The Rambler did ok in the back - the GravelKing flatted and then tore a sidewall, and ended up with a tube and boot in it. I think this terrain would be better suited to a Mezcal or Sparwood (disclaimer: rode after significant flooding the month before, so experience may vary). Even a hardtail MTB would do well here, especially if you're not in a huge hurry.
- Spare brake pads. Mine held up, but I was legitimately concerned I'd wear them out feathering the steep, loose downhills as frequently as I needed to over 3 days.
- Consider bear spray - you are in bear territory. I saw one, and ran into a dude who'd seen 5!
- More time to hang out in Bentonville/Fayetteville afterwards! Give yourself an extra day or two, these towns are super cool.